NOTE: The below article details this feature for our customers utilizing our Kahua for Owner’s and Kahua for GC’s applications, which excludes custom workflow or configuration. Specific customer configuration, customers utilizing other versions of these applications, or custom application features may differ in functionality or processes to those outlined below. For more details on training guides specific to your company, please check with your company IT or Domain Administrator prior to submitting a request to Kahua Support.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
The RFI application allows the Author to initiate an RFI, route it through the Primary Responder and optional Secondary Responders for review. The app maintains a log of all RFIs in the project and has a built-in workflow to manage through a response. The RFI application may be shared with external parties to collaborate review and respond accordingly. In addition to the workflow below, with the proper configuration the Owner or Owner Representative may also be included in the workflow. For more details on Owner workflow, reach out to Kahua Support.
Author – the person initiating the RFI
Primary Responder – the person named by the Author as the person responsible for the final response to the RFI. Typically, the Architect of Record.
Secondary Responder – a person included in the process by the Author, Primary Responder or another Secondary Responder. Secondary Responders reply to the Primary Responder, not to the Author. Usually an Engineer or other Consultant.
Create an RFI
- As the Author of the RFI, navigate to the appropriate project.
- Access the RFIs app from the App Launcher under the Document Management section.
- Click New to create a new RFI.
- Fill out the RFI form noting the following:
- Required fields are marked with red text.
- The Primary Responder can be auto populated based on configuration settings.
- Provide any other information that will be helpful for the Primary Responder to provide a complete and detailed response.
- Attach reference documents at the bottom of the form, if applicable.
- Use the options on the Save menu at any time during editing by choosing from:
- Save saves the RFI that you are editing while allowing you to continue editing.
- Save/New saves and closes the RFI you are editing and opens a new RFI form.
- Save/Close saves the RFI you are editing and closes the RFI Edit window.
- After you have finished editing the RFI, click the Submit button. This saves the RFI and submits the RFI into workflow. The RFI is sent to the Primary Responder which results in a new message and task in Kahua. The Primary Responder also receives an email message about the RFI if their account settings are set up to allow email messages.
- The Status will increment to “In Review”.
- The Assigned To field indicates the RFI is outstanding with the Primary Responder
The Primary Responder can then solicit responses from secondary responders and add the secondary response to the Primary (official) Response as required.
- As the Primary Responder, access the RFI task notification from the email link, or sign into Kahua and click on your task icon then select the RFI task.
- To solicit additional responses, click Insert in the Secondary Responders grid.
- Click Send to Secondary Responders.
- Secondary Responders receive a task and message alert.
- Secondary Responders enter a response in the Response field and click Respond.
- The Date Responded will auto populate when the Secondary Responder responds.
- As the Primary Responder, click the More Detailicon to the left of the Secondary Responder in the grid to see their response.
- To add secondary responses to the Primary response, select Add to Response checkbox. Click Add Responses to primary response.
- Edit primary response as required.
- As the Primary Responder click Respond. A task is sent to the Author to either Complete or Request Clarification.
- As the Author, open the RFI app and note that the log reflects:
- The Status is “Responded”
- The Assigned To column indicated the RFI is outstanding with the Author
- If the RFI response is sufficient, click one of the options to close and lock the RFI:
- Mark Complete saves and locks the RFI
- Distribute & Mark Complete saves and locks the RFI and sends a notification to all contacts in the Response Distribution list.
- If the RFI response is insufficient, click Return to Primary Responder to request clarification.