The Application tab is where any application-specific configuration takes place – including:
- Enabling/Disabling an Application
- Configuring the View within an App (Hiding fields, Relabeling fields, Changing Lookup Lists, Default Data, Numbering Scheme Setup, etc.)
Note that not all applications will have the same configuration options.
In the Number tab within an application’s configuration, the numbering scheme for records may be determined. Kahua provides flexibility to determine numbering format, assignment method (by default, manual, etc.) and whether the numbering is shared with other projects or isolated to each individual project. If specific numbering formatting is required above this, Kahua supports the ability to set numbering to include prefixes/suffixes and/or define an attribute to be concatenated to a record’s number. See below for additional information:
Basic Ways to Number Records in an Application:
- Auto - Kahua will assign a number to each record upon creation. This number cannot be modified.
- Auto-Suggest - Kahua will default a number to each record upon creation. Users have the ability to modify this number prior to saving the new record or by editing the record at a future time (assuming that user has edit rights to that record).
- Manual - No number will be included when creating a new record, users will need to manually enter a value in the Number attribute.
- Parent Attribute Name - Allows for definition of an attribute found on the project’s records to prompt unique numbering based on that parent attribute. For instance, if the database name for the ‘Vendor Company’ is entered here when creating numbering for Contracts, each Contract with that Vendor Company will increment in number, but Contracts with other Vendor companies will be uniquely incrementing.
- Allow Duplicates - Allow users to ‘Save’ a record with duplicate numbers; primarily utilized if set to Manual or Auto-Suggest in Type field, as users may then manually enter or edit suggested numbers. If not checked, users will receive validation message upon attempts to save a record with a duplicate number to a record that already exists.
- Starting Number - Allows user to set starting number of records; defaulted to 1 if not manually updated
- Share Numbering with Child Partitions - Allows projects at and below the partition to share numbering; if not checked, each project will have a unique number set
- Width - Allows for definition of how many characters each number should be when set via auto-suggest or auto in Type field. For instance, a width of ‘4’ would start with 0001, 0002, etc.
- Prefix / Suffix - If a specific attribute or hard-coded value should be fixed to the start or end of a numbering scheme, enter here. If intending to enter an attribute (such as Project Name, etc.), ensure the attribute entered is the database name as used on a Portable View. If hardcoding, simply enter value. For instance, typing ‘Number-’ in the Prefix will suggest numbering such as Number-0001, etc.
- Prompt - If a number is to be assigned upon save, or is dependent on selection of another field for a prefix/suffix/parent attribute, listing a prompt here will display this prompt in the Number field of the record until the proper attributes are selected. For example: ‘Number will be assigned upon selection of …’
- Validation Rule - Allows for validation that the user-entered or system-created ‘Number’ is numeric only if ‘Numeric Only’ is selected here. Additional Validations may be added in custom applications.