There are numerous ways to create a project. The way a project is created will depend on the purpose of its creation.
A project may be created 1) Blank (new project, no data copied over from templates) OR 2) From Template (when a project already exists that has standard data – such as Work Breakdown codes, File Structure and/or Milestones) that need to be copied over as part of the project’s creation.
Here we review each method.
Creating a Blank Project
- To create a blank project (no data carried over from other projects), navigate to the Project Finder. Click New at the top of the Project Finder.
- Determine if the Project Location that is listed is accurate. By default, the tool will list the ‘parent’ (where the project will sit under) as the location that you are in within your Navigation bar.
- If you wish to place your blank project elsewhere, navigate through the hierarchy in this window until the proper ‘parent’ is displayed under ‘Project Location’. In this example, I am placing my project directly under the partition ‘Best Practices Company.’
- Click Next.
- Ensure Create Blank Project has been selected. Click Next.
- The project / Portfolio Management form will appear. Note that any defaults, lookups, or field configuration set to apply to the partition you are creating the project in will be reflected in this form. Populate any required fields or other information and click Save.
- The project is now created, will be visible in the hierarchy within Project Finder, and can be navigated to, edited, or updated as required.
NOTE that if this project is being created with the intention of being a template moving forward, ensure the field Record Type is populated as ‘Template’ in the project’s information.
Creating a Project from Template
- To create a project from a Template, first ensure that the project you wish to copy has the field Record Type (In the Portfolio Management app / basic project information) populated with the value ‘Template.’
- Next, navigate into Project Finder and click New.
- Determine if the Project Location that is listed is accurate. By default, the tool will list the ‘parent’ (where the project will sit under) as the location that you are in within your Navigation bar. If you wish to place your blank project elsewhere, navigate through the hierarchy in this window until the proper ‘parent’ is displayed under ‘Project Location’. In this example, I am placing my project directly under the partition ‘Best Practices Company.’
- Click Next.
- Click the button next to ‘Create from Template’. Two fields will dynamically appear – 1) Name (name of the project you wish to create) and 2) Select Template (list of all projects where Record Type = Template, per above note).
- Type in the name of the project you wish to create, and select the appropriate template you wish to create your project from. If you do not see your template here, ensure that the template is listed as such in the field Record Type in its basic project information.
- Toggle to include folders and/or files in your copy – this will determine if the File Manager structure is copied alongside the other app data included in Copy.
- Click Save when complete.
- The project will now begin to copy.
- You may work elsewhere in the system until complete. When complete, a notification will pop up on your screen (similar to a task notification) and you will receive a Kahua Message indicating the copy is complete, and ready for your use.
- You may now navigate to your new project in the Project Finder, or by clicking on the notification you received (screenshot below). Note that if you had defaulted data in the Work Breakdown application (cost codes), Milestones, etc. this will be reflected in your new project as well. No cost data tied to the Work Breakdown codes (Funding, Expenses) should copy to your new project.